Monday, September 17, 2007
Temptations
Today I was reading My Utmost for His Highest (link to book is on the sidebar under "Recommended Readings"). Today's was about temptations. Oswald Chambers made a good point when he said,
"A person's inner nature, what he possesses in the inner, spiritual part of his being, determines what he is tempted by on the outside. The temptation fits the true nature of the person being tempted and reveals the possibilities of his nature. Every person actually determines or sets the level of his own temptation, because temptation will come to him in accordance with the level of his controlling, inner nature."

I thought this was rather interesting. What we surround ourselves by is what we will be affected by, if that makes sense. What goes in will come out.
How much of our temptations come from where we put ourselves? Hypothetically speaking, think of someone who pledges abstinence until marriage, and believes this with their whole heart. What would happen if this person began hanging around the opposite sex every day and got a significant other and spent every moment with this person. How long would it take for a few barriers to come down? What about the person who plegdes never to drink yet attends college parties every weekend. The senarios are endless.

The point being is not necessarily that we will fail when we go into such circumstances (someone who is set on abstinence isn't bound to lose that just by having a significant other), but that if we have standards on something, yet continueally surround ourselves with what is contradictory to those standards, Satan will start to tempt you and try to break you of your beliefs and standards so that you will lower them little by little. He changes what is on the inside to affect what is on the outside.

Evaluate yourself. What is it that brings you down? What is it that trips you up over and over again? What are you a slave to? Jesus does indeed bring freedom, but He calls for sacrifices on our part as well. Luke 9:23 states that for anyone to be His disciple they must "deny themselves, pick up their cross daily, and follow me." We must deny ourselves. If we want to break free from the temptations that lead to failure, we have to remove ourselves from particular surroundings and/or people.

Now evaluate where God wants you.

Remember Philippains 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Over and Out
-Kristy
posted by Kristy @ 3:18 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
From simple things to complex things. From a teaching mentality to a learning one. From strength to brokeneness.
About Me

Name: Kristy
Home: Boise, Idaho, United States
About Me: I'm just a seeker. I seek God and each day is full of lessons that he gives. He reveals His grace to me and when I fall he picks me up to my feet. When I can't see I know He'll clear my vision. I am simply seeking God's will and my hope is that this corner of the internet becomes a place where I can share the random things that go through my mind, and hopefully make a few friends. Thanks for stopping by :)
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Shoutbox

Hey everyone! Thanks for stopping by. This blog has been dormant for a while, but that is to be changed. I am starting it back up! So check back often!

Other things
dont know what to put here yet :)
Recommended Readings
Links
Powered by

Isnaini Dot Com

BLOGGER